Cheyenne Regional Medical Center (CRMC)’s Forensic Nursing Department nurses are specially trained in assessing for, documenting, referring, and reporting child abuse.
If you fear a child has been abused in any manner, please bring the child to the CRMC Emergency Department for evaluation and treatment.
To contact the CRMC Forensic Nursing Office, please call (307) 633-7610. If there is no answer or it is after 7 p.m., please call the CRMC Emergency Department at (307) 633-7610 and ask to speak with the forensic nurse on call.
How we can help you
In addition to conducting child abuse medical evaluations and treatment, CRMC’s forensic nurses can:
- Document injuries and/or neglect
- Work collaboratively with other disciplines for the welfare of children
- Assist in setting up a safe place to stay, such as Safehouse, or other services if needed
- Assist you in contacting advocacy
Common types of child abuse and neglect
Child abuse and neglect are both serious public health problems that can have a lifelong impact on health and wellbeing.
The four most common types are physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and neglect.
- Physical abuse is the intentional use of physical force that can result in physical symptoms or signs, including hitting, kicking, shaking, or burning
- Sexual abuse involves forcing, pressuring or engaging in sexual acts with a child, including fondling, penetration, or exposing a child to sexual activities
- Emotional abuse is the behavior that can harm the emotional well-being of a child, including name calling, threatening, lack of love, or rejection of a child
- Neglect is defined as the failure to meet basic physical and/or emotional needs, including access to medical care, clothing, nutrition, and education
- Cheyenne Regional Medical Center (CRMC)
– Main: (307) 634-2273
– Emergency Department: (307) 633-7670
– Sex Assault Coordinator: (307) 633-7610
– Behavioral Health: (307) 633-7382
– Victim Helpline: (888) 996-8816
- Cheyenne Laramie County Public Health: (307) 633-4000
- Family Planning: (307) 633-4040
- Peak Wellness: (307) 634-9653
- Human Trafficking Hotline: (888) 373-7888
- Safe House: (307) 634-8655
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233
- Suicide Hotlines: (800) 457-9312, (800) SUICIDE
- Wyoming Office of Victim Services: (307) 777-7200
- US Attorney Victim Program: (307) 772-2124
- Burns Police Department: (307) 547-2252
- Cheyenne Police Department: (307) 637-6519
- Laramie County Sheriff’s Office: (307) 633-4700
- Pine Bluffs Police Department: (307) 245-3777
- FE Warren AFB Response Coordinator: (307) 773-6444