How to be a Mindful Eater during the Holidays!
By the CRMC Clinical Nutrition Team of Registered Dietitians
Is there really a way to enjoy the holidays and remain focused on wellness goals? Below are some tips on how to be a mindful eater amidst all the holiday bliss:
- Gauge your hunger and fullness before and during the meal to avoid feeling overly (and uncomfortabley) full.
- Have a healthy snack before leaving for a party. (Don’t “starve” yourself before holiday meals—this usually results in overeating.)
- Eat slowly and savor each bite.
- Focus on variety from bite to bite to increase your enjoyment of the meal. (The first two bites of any food are said to provide the most satisfaction.)
- Set down utensils between each bite.
- Eat with your non-dominant hand.
- Scan the meal options and make a mental plan before going through a buffet line or before food is passed around. Avoid trying a little bit of everything.
- Make your plate and then move away from the food table toward “distractions” that might include starting a conversation, playing a game or looking at the decorations and gifts.
- Be aware of alcohol consumption. (Alcohol is more calorie-dense per gram than carbohydrates and protein.)
- Alternate a glass of water between each serving of alcohol.
- Split a dessert serving with a friend to reduce calorie-laden dessert portions.