Cheyenne Regional recognizes the unique role that our preceptors play in the success of new healthcare professionals to our organization. With a special set of unique skills, preceptors help to influence, guide and mentor our new employees. They help in competency development and aid in a smooth transition into practice.
Our preceptor workshops help to develop and enhance these unique set of skills in our preceptors. In these workshops, preceptors will learn how to establish a safe learning environment that promotes critical thinking, competency, and teamwork.
For employees interested in becoming Certified Preceptors at Cheyenne Regional, the following requirements must be met:
- Obtain approval from your manager prior to attending course work.
- Complete Preceptor Workshop 101: Essential Preceptor Skills
- Complete Preceptor Workshop 102: Assessing Competency (Workshop 101 is a prerequisite)
- Complete three ‘Competencies’
- ‘Competencies’ will be assigned to you in HealthStream after you have completed Workshops 101 and 102.
- Your certification will be valid for one year. To renew your certification, you will need to maintain 5 continuing education hours per year (in the area of preceptor development or leadership).